Thrifting // My Tips & Advice!

Hello everyone!

You may be able to tell I quite enjoy thrifting! I shop in charity shops a lot and rarely leave one without bagging at least one bargain. I was recently asked to share my tips & tricks and I thought why not!

thrifting thrift tips how to charity shops advice

Keep an open mind
I've started with probably the most important tip I can think of. 
It's absolutely vital to go into a charity shop with a positive attitude. If you go in with the mindset that you'll only find baggy old shirts and smelly shoes then that's all you're going to find! Believe me, there are tons of cool clothes to be found in thrift shops. A lot also sell homeware bits and books so don't disregard those shelves! Plus it's exciting, you never know what you're gonna find!

Make time
Thrifting isn't as simple as shopping in a regular store, you can't just look at what's at the front of the clothes racks. Charity shops are full of treasure waiting to be found if you make the time for hunting! 

Find your locals
Okay, so when I first got into thrifting I went onto Google Maps and searched for all the charity shops in the city I usually go shopping in. I'm not sure if that's the coolest thing to admit but it's what I did! It was really worthwhile because it means I can check them all so if one place doesn't have anything I want, another one probably will!

thrifting thrift tips how to charity shops advice

Set a budget & know what you need
This one is for you thrift addicts!
Charity shops may sell at knock down prices but that doesn't mean it's not easy to spend a fortune in them! It's very tempting to pick up loads of things and not think about the cost because 'you've got 20 new plain tees' - that's not saving money! How much you pay will largely depend on where you're thrifting but usually, I'll go in with a budget of £10 and be able to get about 4 or 5 things. If it's something like a coat or a bag I need, they'll be pricier and I'll limit myself to just that one thing - it all balances out. It's worthwhile only bringing a certain amount of money in with you and keeping a running list of things you need in your mind, that way you won't overbuy and regret buying things.

Stick at it!
I've been thrifting for quite a few years now and I've found the more I thrift, the easier it is to spot the gems. What I'm trying to say is don't be put off if you walk into one charity shop and it's messy or you don't find anything. It can be a bit disheartening when you walk out empty handed but that's just how it goes sometimes! Stick at it because it's one of the best discoveries ever.

thrifting thrift tips how to charity shops advice

So those are just some of the tips I've picked up along the way during my time thrifting. I'm sure there are things I've forgotten to mention so if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them in the comments below!

Do you have any tips for thrifting?

Thanks for reading,
Maeve
x

Share:

0 comments