9 Things My Parents Taught Me // #IrishBlogCollab

Hello everyone!

It's time for another post in the #IrishBlogCollab series! This week we're going to be reminiscing on the things our families taught us and of course, you can keep up with everyone's posts by searching the hashtag on Twitter. 

Here are 9 things my parents taught me!

things my parents taught me mum dad good values irishblogcollab

1. Please & thank you

A fairly simple one to start but something I'm very grateful my parents taught me is manners!

2. Be grateful

Speaking of being grateful, that's another thing I firmly remember my parents passing onto me. It's a lesson I always try my best to carry out and funny enough, I actually wrote a blog post on 20 things to be grateful for a few weeks ago so mum & dad clearly made a lasting impression on that one!

3. Have a laugh

Growing up in a home full of silliness & laughter definitely made me aware of how important it is to just have a laugh! It's easy to get tied up in worry & stress but those funny little moments are the ones to live for.

4. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all

As a kid, I was pretty much convinced my dad coined this phrase but obviously as I grew up I realised he didn't and lots of people live by this! For good reason too, I think this is a vital lesson to learn and it's something I think about a lot. In the media we're constantly hearing people be bashed & picked apart but why can't we focus on the positives?

5. I can

My parents always enstilled the idea in me that I can do things, it's something I actually talked about in this 11 questions about me post. Thanks mum & dad!

things my parents taught me mum dad good values irishblogcollab

6. Things don't get done by themselves!

Another hugely important life lesson courtesy of my parents! Independence is a key quality I'm extremely grateful for. From things like doing the dishes & cooking, they taught me the importance of chipping in and that sometimes the only way things will get done is by doing them yourself.

7. Be considerate

Being independent is one thing, but at the same time we have to think of others. In fact, I've found it can be very soul cleansing to just devote your time, effort & care to someone else. Give it a go!

8. Try your best

I'll admit I'm a serial worrier but I have to hand it to my parents, they always encouraged me to try my best & that that would always be good enough. Not gonna lie though, it's a mindset I'm still working on but it's achievable!

9. Don't give up

There have been plenty of times I've felt like saying, "Oh forget it, I give up!" to things and it's always my parents who'll encourage me to try again. With the advantage of hindsight, I can say that it can be so worth picking yourself up and giving something another go!


Wow, I feel like I have a lot to thank my parents for! 
I'd love for you to get involved in the comments below and share the things your family taught you - anything similar to what mine did?

Zoe's post // Denise's post // Lara's post // Catherine's post // Sharon's post

What did your parents teach you?

Thanks for reading,
Maeve
x

Share:

0 comments